Saturday 7 November 2009

Set fire to the third bar

What have I done? I can't sleep, I can't stay in bed, and I can't get him out of my head.

What did I do? I gave into temptation. Common sense temporarily disabled, I ensnared a man, lets call him 'Him' for now. A persistent, willing and eager man, who would argue he is unwilling to be ensnared by anyone, and certainly not by me, he was ensnared, and I let him ensnare me. The temptation is Him, pure and simply Him - the myth and the actual.

I can't sleep because I woke up too early courtesy of too much wine and a 5am bedtime. I can't stay in bed because I think of the last time he was in it, and right now, that makes me feel very sick indeed. And I can't get him out of my head because he is a delicious mix of addictive, curious, and awkward, with a very handsome backside thrown in for good measure.

I really should know better by now - the actual is never as good as the myth, I'm easily bored, and a nice smile will see me easily swayed. But with Him, the actual is proving to be better than the myth at every turn, and with fiercely high expectations I'm left mystified. He is something of an artist, adept at sidestepping the unspeakable whilst leading you almost unknowingly into the Garden of Eden. This morning however, I am disappointed; his magic has temporarily worn off which leaves me loathing him, cursing his existence, and occasionally deliberating effective ways to poke him with a stick.

In the meantime I find myself distracted with thoughts of an ex-lover, a certain Mr Green, which surprises me, as I normally wander back to the reliable Mr Marine. Set fire to the third bar - such a curious song. I don't understand it, perhaps I do in parts, but I like it a lot as it takes me off into a totally different place. This sounds an awful lot like my thoughts on Him...

4 comments:

  1. Hey Hot Cockles baby,

    I love your first post - can't wait for more!

    XOXO as always,

    Wifey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-)

    I'm going to read more of yours later, but for now, sleep ...

    LHC x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That song haunted me for the entirety of a holiday taken en famille by a lover. Her last act before flying halfway round the world was to send me a cd which included THAT song.
    "Miles from where you are... set me down in your warm arms.." That song just haunted me.

    Anticipation vs Reality... always a problem this one. Our imagination can be remarkably fertile and it is so easy to let it run wild before the event, whereas, as I'm sure you know, it is better to let it run wild during the event! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure there must be disappointment around the corner, he really can't be that good at everything (!), but for now I think I'll sit back and enjoy the anticipation :-D

    ReplyDelete